Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Not Martha

As many of you know, my husband is a chef.  A fancy chef... A ridiculously talented chef.  Like one of those crazy chefs who actually understand the science of food, as well as the art.  For those of you who don't know him already, you can read about the restaurant he works at, Ashley's - http://newamericanacuisine.com/


So, what many people don't know is that I used to be a pretty good cook myself.  And yes, I say cook because god forbid I insult my husband's profession with my mediocre culinary skills.  My grandmother, Nellie Mae, taught me to cook when I was a young girl and there's nothing I love more than making a great meal for people I love.  However, shortly after meeting Matthew I retired my culinary skills.  Not only is he a far better chef than I could ever aspire to be, but it's a little difficult for me to share kitchen with him.  Don't get me wrong, I love him and I totally respect that our kitchen is HIS territory, but the few times I've dared to cook for him things get a little heated, and I'm not talking about the oven.  While some folks have a "one-ass kitchen", we have a "one-ego kitchen."  I'm a stubborn girl and I don't take kindly to criticism or unwarranted advice.  I can recall my husband once saying "You may be the only person in the world that doesn't care about my culinary opinion!"  I love reminding him of that... Thinking of it always makes me giggle.


My solution to our little problem is that I generally only cook or bake when The Chef is at work.  I spent my Saturday night last week with a good friend.  We went by the Razorback tailgate, had dinner at Cantina Laredo and then headed back to my place for a movie.  On our way home, my friend got a craving for something sweet.  I had found a recipe earlier in the week for these brownies and I was SO EXCITED to have an excuse to make them!  We made a Kroger run on the way home, put on Some Like It Hot on the kitchen TV and got to baking. 


Now this is not your typical brownie recipe... This brownie recipe contains all that is good and righteous in the world of baking - specifically, Oreos.  I don't have a sweet tooth - I usually have cravings for things that are salty and cheesy.  In fact, I'm not wild about chocolate.  Crazy, I know - how can I call myself a female if I don't love and crave chocolate?!?  But, I do love brownies and even more I lurve Oreos.  


So, I tried to be organized with my baking adventure this weekend... I wrote my recipe up on the chalkboard wall so I wouldn't have to keep referencing my iPhone with ooey-gooey all over my fingers.  I even set out a pseudo-mise en place.  But sadly, I am no Martha because I failed to pay attention to how-freaking-long this recipe was going to take.  My sweet, patient, gracious friend sat through all of Some Like It Hot and then some while I made these brownies.  Then we get to the end of the recipe, and we are ready to dig into this pyrex dish with our bare hands like Oreo-Brownie monsters and... SHIT - I'm supposed to stick this bad boy in the fridge for 30 MORE MINUTES?!?!?!  Now I'm cussing and cursing all those women who pretend as though this is all SO easy... So, I sent my friend home late into the night with a scoop of ooey-gooey.  It may not have looked like these lovely photos below, but it sure was tasty.  


My advice to those of you attempting this recipe, PLAN AHEAD.  Don't be like me and think that you can whip this shit together for your friends to have a late night snack to accompany your movie.  I took the rest of this batch to my other friend's house the next night and we chowed down while drooling over Alexander Skarsgard.  Also, if you want to cut these bad boys so they look just as awesome as the ones below, my friend - who is a pastry chef - tells me that you have to freeze them, not just refrigerate for 30 minutes.  Again with the smoke and mirrors!  Arrrgh... I'll never be Martha!


Dreamy Oreo Brownies
1 box brownie mix (I used Pillsbury Fudge Brownies) – with ingredients to prepare them according to the package directions
1 (16.6 oz) package Oreo cookies divided equally into 3rds all coarsely chopped
1 (8 oz) tub of Cool Whip thawed in fridge
1 8 oz block of cream cheese softened
2 cups powdered sugar
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
Prepare brownie batter according to package directions, folding in 1/3 of the chopped Oreos.
Bake according to package directions, until a toothpick inserted 1 inch from the edge comes out clean.
Let brownies cool completely.
Meanwhile in your mixer bowl beat the cream cheese and powdered sugar until combined and smooth.
With a spatula fold in the Cool Whip and another 1/3 of the coarsely chopped Oreos.
Spread the cream cheese mixture on top of cooled brownies.
Now in a microwave safe bowl melt the chocolate chips and the vegetable oil on medium power for 1 minute.
Stir and repeat in 30 second increments until melted.
When chocolate is melted spread evenly over the cream cheese layer.
Now sprinkle the remaining Oreos on top of melted chocolate.
Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or until ready to serve.
[Freeze if you want to be a culinary badass!]
Cut into squares.



Recipe and photos taken from Cookies & Cups, you may find the original post here: 

No comments:

Post a Comment